Part I 1880-1914
- "That Violent Hullabaloo"
- "Select Establishments"
- From Pedigrees to Hieroglyphs
- Egypt "Like a House on Fire"
- Private Idyll; Howard Carter; Public Ideal
- Yuya and Tuya, and Weigall "Bashmufetish"
- The Flooding of Nubia; the Tomb of the Nobles
- Another Royal Tomb: Queen Tiy? Akhnaten?
- The Eastern Desert; "Odium Archaeologicum"
- Gaiety; Akhnaten; and Howard Carter Again
- Maspero; the Autocrat of Thebes; Akhnaten's Curse
- Alan Gardiner at Gurneh; High Life in Luxor
- "Egyptologists are Themselves...the Worst Vandals"
- Breakdown; the Bronze; the War for Egypt's Heritage
- Scandal, Schemes, and Egyptology for Egyptians
Part II: 1914-1934
- From Egypt to the West End
- Experiments in Theatre and Film
- Novelist and Film Critic
- Tut-ankh-Carter and TutCarnarvon
- American Lecture Tour; Carter Again; and Divorce
- Egyptian Chronology; English Monuments
- The Old Brigade versus the Moderns
- History Again: Beating the Philistines
- Shutting the Door